Wednesday 22 September 2010

The Union Tour - 22/09/10 Gibson Theatre

I ’ve included this as it seems like a good start! Giving out water and beer to competition winners and finally getting to see The Union (shame on me for not doing it before), what could be better? Well, giving out drinks may seem a simple thing to do, however, due to my OCD, each water bottle proffered and accepted had to be replaced immediately so as not to upset the pyramid effect carefully sculpted upon the table. And giving away free beer is not as easy as it sounds – most times it was met with slight suspicion at the word ‘free’ :)

I have never had hand-freeze before. Filling a dustbin with ice and then Fosters is great, but not when you are trying to keep a steady supply of ‘coldies’. Fingernails were long forgotten as I dug deeper and deeper to ensure a rotation system would occur. And after the ice all melted in what was, really quite a toasty room, the hand freeze at delving in for the last few cans was actually an experience I don’t really want to repeat! God knows how the Swedes go from Sauna to ice lake. Intense and immediate shrivelling MUST occur, surely?

I was impressed with the boys (they became ‘the boys’ the minute I agreed to go on tour with them. It’s a thing that happens, just like I have ‘my boys’ ie: the guys in 50ft Woman, and ‘the boys’ from The Union). I’m not surprised I was impressed, in fact I was ashamed I hadn’t bullied Luke before to go to the earlier gigs. Having met Pete a couple of times previously, Chris (through Thunder obviously) and Mark (tour manager, also through Thunder) it was a lot of hellos, plus a new hello to Dave, the new drummer.

It was a this point I realised that I would not be able to stand and watch the load out, without helping, something which then became a regular thing. I also recommend it for on-tour fitness. Trying to help to take out the gear when it is well and truly pissing down outside makes for a rather brisk 20-minute work out. More explanations of the Lynne/Minki workout strategy to come.

(at this point I feel I should explain the Lynne/Minki thing. No, I’m not schizo, well only on Tuesdays and Thursdays – but the boys know me as Lynne, from the days working with Thunder, whereas ‘my boys’ know me as Minki, as that’s my pseudonym with 50ft Woman. As I was technically both on tour I did feel like I was wearing 2 hats at once, but as this is primarily about The Union, I shall remain Lynne :) )



No comments: