Tuesday 28 September 2010

The Union Tour - 28/09/10 Edinburgh Cabaret Voltaire Part 2

It's not really much of a part 2, but it does need to be said. It's a late checkout thankfully, as like most nights, I don't get to bed before 3am. (It takes time to wind down after a gig, you know. Yes, I know it wasn't technically MY gig, but that's not the point!)

We are leaving the hotel at 12, and I was a bit tardy with the getting up business (I'm not drinking red wine again, I've decided) so clothes are everywhere while I pack, straighten my hair, all the usual things.

As is usual in these big townhouses, the radiators gurgle as they come on. I particularly like the fact that they are coming on in the morning, a long time after most people have got up, when it was pretty cold last night, and this is a hotel. Still, on they come.

And then ... there is another noise.

Is that a fizzing noise? What IS that?

More gurgling.

And then ... another fizzing noise.

I investigate.

"Er ... Fiona, we appear to have sprung a leak."

Oh yes, and not just one leak, but two. From the top two valves of the radiator are 2 steady, if tiny, streams of water. The carpet is already soaked, as obviously it took time for us to notice the leak. I am not dressed, so run around grabbing clothes while Fiona grabs her water bottle and tries to catch the leak. Thenkfull the water isn't really hot, but warm, and the leak has obviously happened as the radiators started to warm up. The water bottle is already filling alarmingly and the opening is too small to catch both streams of water, as they go in opposite directions.

I grab the kettle. Success. Fiona manoeuvres the kettle to catch both streams expertly in the kettle spout.

I finish getting dressed, and make to go downstairs to find someone. I think I can hear one of the maids outside, fantastic.

Just as I am about to go in search of said maid, Fiona informs me that the kettle is filling up. Some clever swappage of kettle to bottle takes place, so that I can then empty the kettle, then swap it back and THEN go and find the maid.

The maid, quite rightly panics, albeit in a sort of calm Eastern European way. She gives us a small bucket to catch the leak while she goes to find a solution. Fantastic, this will be much easier. Er ...

Fiona informs me that the bucket itself has now sprung a leak. This is just too much and after quickly swapping the kettle back, Fiona and I are unable to talk, for laughing. I then decide to film this escapade as it is just one of those things I will wish I had done, if I don't.


The maid returns with a radiator key and swiftly locks both valves. Fiona and I are still unable to really speak, as we explain to the maid about her cracked bucket. She apologises profusely, and I think looks at us suspiciously as we are still giggling.

I'm still giggling now.

And we STILL made the 12 o'clock set off!

============================
A little extra, 'specially for a wee Scottish laddie ...

No comments: